[Video] Viper ACR reigns as fastest production car at the Nürburgring.
The Nürburgring Nordschleife is often described as the most technically challenging purpose-built road course in the world. This is the place where automakers test their vehicles for proper suspension tuning and endurance abilities. The 12.9-mile north loop has long been the global standard bearer for sports cars since its construction in the 1920s. For these reasons, SRT believes it is important to show the world that the Viper ACR is capable – and dominates.
The Viper ACR injected its first dose of venom into the Green Hell in August 2008, setting a record 7:22.1 lap time. Despite many attempts to dethrone the Viper, its record run stood for nearly three years. Its lap record was finally eclipsed this summer by a pair of worthy competitors. Upon hearing the news, SRT knew it was time to reset the record. With encouragement from the Viper Club and help from ViperExchange.com, SRT returned to the track to reclaim its rightful prize.
SRT engineers honed the ACR for 2010 by shortening fifth gear, improving rear wing aerodynamics and employing a short-throw shifter. These improvements, along with ideal track conditions, helped the team shave a full ten seconds off its previous time.
On September 14, 2011, veteran GT driver Dominik Farnbacher lapped the Green Hell in 7:12.13 – a full two seconds faster than its nearest competitor.
Following its latest achievement, the ACR has set benchmarks at 19 road courses across two continents.
- Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, Illinois 2:37.70
- Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, California 1:55.70
- Gingerman Raceway, South Haven, Michigan 1:26.70
- Grattan Raceway, Belding, Michigan 1:22.70
- Laguna Seca Raceway, Salinas. California 1:33.90
- Miller Motorsport Park (perimeter), Tooele, Utah 1:59.90
- Monticello Motor Club, Monticello, New York 2:26.37
- MotorSport Ranch (full course), Cresson, Texas 2:19.00
- Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, Ohio 1:08.90
- New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, New Jersey 1:28.08
- No Problem Raceway, Belle Rose, Louisiana 1:16.90
- Nürburgring Nordschleife, Nürburg, Germany 7:12.13
- Putnam Park, Mount Meridian, Indiana 1:12.60
- Sebring Full Course, Sebring, Florida 2:19.47
- Spring Mountain (2.2 mile layout), Pahrump, Nevada 1:45.40
- Texas World Speedway, College Station, Texas 1:47.56
- Top Gear USA (El Toro), Irvine, California 1:22.00
- Virginia International Raceway, Alton, Virginia 2:48.60
- Willow Springs Raceway, Rosamond, California 1:26.00
Photo credit: Maurice Q. Liang