The No. 91 SRT® Viper GTS-R wins at Road America.
Dominik Farnbacher and Marc Goossens drove the No. 91 SRT® Viper GTS-R to victory in the GT Class Sunday at Road America, the first factory-backed American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron win for the Viper since 2000.
It was the 17th factory-backed victory for SRT Viper in ALMS competition (16 victories from 1999-2000). The last victory came December 31, 2000 in Adelaide, Australia. The Vipers posted a 1-2 finish led by Karl Wendlinger/Dominique Dupy followed by Jean-Philippe Belbc and Ni Amorium.
“Winning at Road America is not only a victory for Team SRT, it’s also a win for the entire SRT Brand and the Viper,” said Ralph Gilles, President and Chief Executive Officer – (SRT) Street and Racing Technology Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. “We are very proud of the performance delivered by our drivers and the crew. I am truly humbled by the hard work and dedication given by Team SRT this entire season. Thank you for all the support of our extended Chrysler Family.”
Goossens drove the No. 91 Viper past Antonio Garcia’s Corvette with 33 minutes remaining in the 2:45 event and was never challenged. However, there was plenty of nail biting in the SRT Motorsports pit over the final eight minutes of the race. Fuel was an issue. The No. 91 along with the rest of the top five in the running order were low on fuel and would have to make a final pit stop for a splash under green-flag conditions. Just as the 91 was ready to make that stop, the caution appeared. That’s all Goossens needed as he had just enough fuel to complete two more circuits around the 4.048-mile circuit at reduced speed for the win.
“The last five minutes were a nail biter,” said Beth Paretta — Director of Marketing and Operations, SRT Brand and Motorsports. “We had different strategies for the two cars and it was going to come down if we had a yellow or not. We got the yellow, so that determined the outcome with the 91 getting the win. I’m so happy for SRT Motorsports and the SRT brand. It’s been one year; this is our birthday, so happy birthday to SRT Motorsports. This is a great way to celebrate.
“At the beginning of the season, we thought one car might be stronger than the other but now, week-to-week, it could be either one that is stronger. SRT Motorsports is one team with two cars. It’s not two teams. And we have four great drivers.
“This is a great statement. Seeing our Viper in the lead is better than any commercial or any ad you see in a magazine. It shows the car is durable and can fight with anything on this grid and some days like today, you’re at the top of the podium.”
Orion Energy Systems 245
Road America / Elkhart Lake, Wis.
Sunday, Aug. 10, 2013
GT Class Race Results
1. No. 91 SRT Viper GTS-R
2. No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1
3. No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1
4. No. 48 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
5. No. 06 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
6. No. 93 SRT Viper GTS-R
7. No. 55 BMW Z4 GTE
8. No. 56 BMW Z4 GTE
9. No. 17 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
10. No. 62 Ferrari F458 Italia
11. No. 23 Ferrari F458 Italia
• Today’s victory is the first for SRT Motorsports in 2013.
• This is the first American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron victory for an SRT Viper entry since December 31, 2000 in Adelaide, Austraila in the 2000 The Race of a Thousand Years. The Vipers posted a 1-2 finish led by Karl Wendlinger/Dominique Dupy followed by Jean-Philippe Belbc and Ni Amorium.
• SRT Motorsports claimed its fourth podium finish this season: Long Beach (third, No. 91), Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (second, No. 91 and third, No. 93).
• This is the 17th factory-backed victory for SRT Viper in ALMS competition (16 victories from 1999-2000).